Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Charleston's - 70th & Yale

We have been to both Charleston's a number of times and have enjoyed everything we have eaten, from steak, fish, and chicken entrees to soups and salads.

This time I decided to try a cheeseburger, since the Tulsa World had just published a story on Tulsa's $10 burgers. Charleston's burger was a little below that at just $9.00.

I have to say that I was very surprised to be so acutely disappointed in the burger. It was quite large with a generous amount of cheese on the beef, plus lettuce, tomato and a small amount of mayonnaise. I asked for mustard (I am a traditionalist, I suppose). Still, what taste it had, was not pleasing. I added salt and pepper. Better, but not great. I ate a little over half of it and left the rest. I have had better burgers at Ron's, Hank's, Logan's, Goldie's, and . . .well you get the picture. In lieu of fries, I ordered the baked potato soup and it was terrific, as usual. (I was reminded of Louie's, where the burgers are just OK while I LOVE most of their other offerings. We'll write about that soon.)

Phoebe had the Smoked Chicken and Spinach Salad and it was delicious. It also contained small chunks of new potatoes, penne pasta, pimientos, and perhaps some other items. A nice balance of flavors. (Their Champagne Chicken Salad is a long-time favorite.)

The decor is handsome, low-key, and comfortable. Service was great and the prices are fairly moderate.